Sunday, January 18, 2009
A Few Unusual Corvette Facts
1. Malibu has been building this Corvette ski boat for a number of years. Pictured here is the 2008 model.
2. The cars had to be shoved out of the showrooms with a lot of effort from desperate salesmen in 1953, the first model year. They built only 300 and had a devil of a time selling even that many!
3. There were no factory black Corvettes in 1970.
4. There is no 1983 model.
5. The standard engine in 1975 produced only 165 horsepower.
6. The 1968 Corvette does not have the Stingray name on it. This model was originally designed to replace the Sting Ray as a Mako Shark featuring a delicate dark gray to white (top to bottom) paint pattern, just like a shark. The exotic paint pattern proved too difficult to manufacture, so the Corvette reverted to the Stingray name using one word in 1969.
7. The '68-'82 Stingray body, with its sloped radiator under a plastic nose, proved repeatedly to be the most radar resistant car according to contemporary Car and Driver tests.
The Corvette Chronicles
Recreational Power Boaters Guide